Download E-books The Enemy in Our Hands: America's Treatment of Prisoners of War from the Revolution to the War on Terror PDF
By Robert C. Doyle
Revelations of abuse at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib criminal and the U.S. detention camp at Guantánamo Bay had repercussions extending past the global media scandal that ensued. the debate surrounding images and outlines of inhumane therapy of enemy prisoners of warfare, or EPWs, from the battle on terror marked a watershed momentin the research of contemporary war and the remedy of prisoners of battle. Amid allegations of human rights violations and conflict crimes, one query stands proud one of the leisure: used to be the therapy of America's latest prisoners of struggle an remoted occasion or a part of a troubling and intricate factor that's deeply rooted in our nation's army history?Military professional Robert C. Doyle's The Enemy in Our palms: America's remedy of Prisoners of warfare from the Revolution to the warfare on Terror attracts from assorted resources to respond to this question. ancient in addition to well timed in its content material, this paintings examines America's significant wars and prior conflicts -- between them, the yankee Revolution, the Civil struggle, international Wars I and II, and Vietnam -- to supply realizing of the UnitedStates' remedy of army and civilian prisoners. The Enemy in Our fingers deals a brand new viewpoint of U.S. army historical past near to EPWs and means that the strategies hired to regulate prisoners of battle are exact and disparate from one clash tothe subsequent. as well as different very important details, Doyle offers a cultural research and exploration of U.S. adherence to overseas criteria of behavior, together with the 1929 Geneva conference in each one warfare. even though wars are usually not received or misplaced at the foundation of ways EPWs are handled, the therapy of prisoners is among the measures wherein history's conquerors are judged.
By James N. Gibson
This new booklet covers each nuclear supply process the USA ever deployed. With few exceptions, each one weapon and procedure is illustrated via both colour or black and white photos. every one weapon additionally comes with standards and a historical past of its improvement, deployment and retirement (if retired).
By Nathan Hodge
In may well 2003, President George W. Bush declared victory in Iraq. yet whereas we received the warfare, we catastrophically misplaced the peace. Our failure caused a primary switch in our international coverage. faced with the shortcomings of "shock and awe," the U.S. army shifted its concentration to "stability operations": counterinsurgency and the rebuilding of failed states. In lower than a decade, international information has develop into militarized; humanitarianism has been armed.
Combining fresh historical past and firsthand reporting, Armed Humanitarians lines how the suggestions of nation-building got here into style, and the way, evangelized via imagine tanks, executive seminars, and the click, this new doctrine took root contained in the Pentagon and the nation division. Following this remarkable test in armed social paintings because it performs out from Afghanistan and Iraq to Africa and Haiti, Nathan Hodge exposes the problems of translating those bold new theories into motion.
Ultimately seeing this new period in international kin as a noble yet improper test, he exhibits how armed humanitarianism lines our assets, deepens our reliance on outsourcing and personal contractors, and ends up in perceptions of a brand new imperialism, arguably a significant factor in any variety of new conflicts worldwide. As we strive to construct international locations, we might actually be weakening our own.
Nathan Hodge is a Washington, D.C.-based author who makes a speciality of safety and nationwide protection. He has suggested from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Russia, and several international locations within the center East and previous Soviet Union. he's the writer, with Sharon Weinberger, of A extended family Vacation, and his paintings has seemed in Slate, the Financial Times, Foreign Policy, and plenty of different newspapers and magazines.
REA's Crash Course for the AP® U.S. background examination - will get You the next complex Placement® ranking in much less Time
Completely Revised for the 2015 Exam!
Crash Course is ideal for the time-crunched scholar, the last-minute studier, or someone who desires a refresher at the subject.
Are you crunched for time? have you ever begun learning to your complicated Placement® U.S. historical past examination but? how are you going to memorize every little thing you want to comprehend earlier than the try out? Do you would like there has been a quick and straightforward option to examine for the examination AND enhance your score?
If this feels like you, do not panic. REA's Crash path for AP® U.S. History is simply what you would like. Our Crash Course supplies you:
Targeted, targeted overview - learn in basic terms What you must Know
Fully revised for the 2015 AP® U.S. historical past examination, this Crash Course is predicated on an in-depth research of the revised AP® U.S. historical past path description define and pattern AP® attempt questions. It covers in simple terms the data validated at the new examination, so that you could make the main of your beneficial examine time.
Expert Test-taking Strategies
Crash Course provides targeted, question-level recommendations for answering either the multiple-choice and essay questions. through following this recommendation, you could develop your ranking in each element of the test.
Take REA's on-line perform Exam
After learning the fabric within the Crash Course, visit the web REA learn heart and try out what you've got realized. Our perform examination gains timed checking out, distinct causes of solutions, and automated scoring research. The examination is balanced to incorporate each subject and sort of query came across at the genuine AP® examination, so that you understand you are learning the shrewdpermanent way.
Whether you are cramming for the try out on the final minute, searching for additional evaluate, or are looking to learn by yourself in guidance for the checks - this is often the research consultant each AP® U.S. background scholar needs to have.
When it is the most important crunch time and your complicated Placement® examination is simply round the nook, you wish REA's Crash path for AP® U.S. History!
This ancient novel follows the fortunes of Augustine throughout the inter-war years and in addition charts Hitler's upward push to strength as he recovers from the 1923 Munich putsch.
By Bill O'Reilly
Television host, razor sharp political pundit, and number one bestselling writer invoice O’Reilly focuses in on the place all of us stand within the Age of Obama in Pinheads and Patriots. during this courageous, hard-hitting, provocative quantity, the writer of Culture Warrior and A daring, clean Piece of Humanity courses american citizens throughout the broad adjustments sweeping their state and explains precisely what those profound alterations suggest for each one in every of us.
By Heather Cox Richardson
The tale of Reconstruction isn't easily in regards to the rebuilding of the South after the Civil conflict. as a substitute, the overdue 19th century outlined smooth the USA, as Southerners, Northerners, and Westerners progressively hammered out a countrywide id that united 3 areas right into a kingdom which could develop into a global energy. finally, the tale of Reconstruction is set how a center category shaped in the USA and the way its participants outlined what the kingdom could stand for, either at domestic and overseas, for the subsequent century and beyond.
A sweeping background of the U.S. from the period of Abraham Lincoln to the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, this attractive publication stretches the limits of our realizing of Reconstruction. Historian Heather Cox Richardson ties the North and West into the post–Civil warfare tale that typically focuses narrowly at the South, encompassing the numerous humans and occasions of this profoundly very important era.
By weaving jointly the reviews of actual individuals—from a plantation mistress, a local American warrior, and a hard work organizer to Andrew Carnegie, Julia Ward Howe, Booker T. Washington, and Sitting Bull—who lived throughout the many years following the Civil battle and who left documents of their personal phrases, Richardson tells a narrative concerning the construction of recent the USA.
By Jeanette Foster
- Opinionated reviews: No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Based on an in depth own inspection, our writer covers lavish beachfront hotels, intimate rain-forest B&Bs, family-friendly condos, and lots more and plenty, even more. Our eating studies are easily the simplest within the enterprise, no matter if you crave state of the art Asian-fusion food or a hearty, cheap plate lunch.
- Insider Advice: Meticulously researched via one among Hawaii's so much famous newshounds, this is often hands-down the main trustworthy, updated, and entire advisor to the islands. Our writer makes yes that you're going to really event the spirit of aloha, and she'll assist you stay away from whatever that is overpriced, touristy, or inauthentic.
- Where to find secluded shores; mystery spots for snorkeling; the easiest clothing stores to decide on for every thing from diving to deep-sea fishing; and the place to discover the pinnacle galleries and outlets. even if you must golfing, snorkel with sea turtles, take the line journey of an entire life at the scenicHana street, or just relax with a mai tai to observe the sundown, you could layout the suitable journey with Frommer's Maui.
- Exact prices indexed for each institution and activity--no different courses supply such specified, candid reports of inns and eating places. We comprise the superior, but additionally emphasize reasonably priced offerings for genuine people.
- User-friendly features together with celebrity rankings and distinct icons to indicate readers to nice reveals, very good values, insider information, top bets for children, unique moments, and overvalued reviews. inside of you will discover broad insurance of family-friendly lodgings and actions; the right way to get married within the islands; concepts for the easiest honeymoon inns; and worthwhile recommendation on discovering the simplest airfares and package deal deals.
By Jeanette Foster
- Full-color throughout!
- Insider advice on keeping off the crowds as you discover Oahu, from the world-famous Waikiki seashore and Diamond Head Crater to Honolulu's Chinatown and museums. Plus assistance for locating the "real" Oahu because the locals see it, from attending a Hawaiian-language church provider to taking in a fish auction.
- Where to find the very best shores, adventures for thrill-seekers, climbing trails and golfing classes, and lush spa resorts.
- Insightful commentary from our professional writer, a resident of Hawaii's monstrous Island, on Oahu's stunning array of actions, from snorkeling and diving to how you can plan a marriage at the island.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm thoughts. Our professional author is keen about her Hawaii—she tells it love it is in an interesting and important way.
- Exact prices indexed for each institution and activity—no different publications supply such unique, candid stories of motels and eating places. We contain some of the best, but additionally emphasize reasonably priced offerings for actual people.
- User-friendly positive aspects together with megastar rankings and detailed icons to indicate readers to nice reveals, first-class values, insider tips, most sensible bets for children, precise moments, and puffed up experiences.
By Nathaniel Philbrick
From the writer of Mayflower and the imminent Valiant Ambition, the riveting bestseller tells the tale of the real occasions that encouraged Melville's Moby-Dick.
Winner of the nationwide publication Award, Nathaniel Philbrick's booklet is a stupendous saga of survival and event, steeped within the lore of whaling, with deep resonance in American literature and background.
In 1820, the whaleship Essex was rammed and sunk via an offended sperm whale, leaving the determined staff to float for greater than 90 days in 3 tiny boats. Nathaniel Philbrick makes use of little-known records and vibrant information about the Nantucket whaling culture to bare the chilling evidence of this notorious maritime catastrophe. In the guts of the Sea, lately tailored right into a significant function movie starring Chris Hemsworth, is a e-book for the a while.